Need help identifying brake caliper..

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster
Need help identifying brake caliper..

Post by Matt Blehm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi folks,
Daughter's kid kart brakes started dragging at the last race.. I bled them and it freed them up a little, but they were dragging again when she came back in. and a kid kart with dragging brakes is several seconds off the pace, so I guess it's time for a rebuild.

We bought the kart used and the caliper isn't original to the Energy chassis. I've figured out the logo cast into it belongs to Motorquality, but they don't appear to actually be a manufacturer- just a rebrander. And there's no part numbers or other information to be found, so I'm at a loss on how to order replacement parts.

As I was searching for parts, I read somewhere that "they're all the same" as far as replacement parts go-- so I can just measure piston diameter and order generic replacement seals based on diameter.. Can someone else corroborate that?

Any ideas?
Thanks!
Attachments
caliper 2.jpg
caliper 1.jpg

Matt Blehm
Loud Mouth Poster

Re: Need help identifying brake caliper..

Post by Matt Blehm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 pm

I think I've learned that this guy is a knockoff to the Brembo F05 caliper, and several places sell seal kits for it.
Pistons are 32mm, and it seems that 'generic' square o-ring seals don't come in 32mm.
I've ordered a Brembo rebuild kit and will see what's in the box when it shows up. hopefully it's correct as I won't have much time to deal with it before next race!