New day. New kart.

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

John Starkweather
New day. New kart.

Post by John Starkweather » Sun May 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Ok so me and my buddy started out by buying a TaG kart with the intentions of eventually converting to a shifter kart but after researching and getting used to everything Its obviously cheaper to go ahead and buy a shifter kart :D .

So out with the old and in with the older!
Taz will have to go but we picked this up for a good price.

Im wondering between the two which parts are better;

Seats: The free line clear seat feels like a better fit, The shifter kart seat feels big around the ribs but might be perfect with rib/chest protector and suit.. not sure. Is one better quality/design than the other?

Rear axle: The axle was upgraded on the TaG Kart and is a larger diameter compared to the Shifter Kart so I was wondering if its worth trying to swap them over. Also what are the regulations on axles? I can take more pictures if necessary, I did notice that the larger axle has 3 bearings and the smaller is only using 2.

Also Im 99% sure that the motor is the YZ125 can someone confirm this and does anything look out of the ordinary?

Thanks for looking!

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: New day. New kart.

Post by Brad Johnson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:57 pm

You'll definately want a well fitted seat in a shifter. The taz seat will help the ribs but not if its loose. Use the third bearing as well. It is a Yamaha, not something thats used much anymore.