New to karting, kart bought, need to make some changes

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

David Conrad
New to karting, kart bought, need to make some changes

Post by David Conrad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:04 pm

Hello all. Just moved down to Houston, my step son is very interested in karting. He's 10. I found a good deal in a used kart and now knowing what I was buying, I bought a kart with a kx125 motor. Full on shifter kart. This is too much for him obviously. But it's a great platform, just need to swap it out. Does anyone know if it's possible to slap a new motor on this thing and make it an automatic that goes a bit slower? Also, are there Ny good shops around? The master cylinders need to be rebuilt before it can safely be driven. Any advice anyone can give me is much appreciated. Thanks!

david mckee
The master poster

Re: New to karting, kart bought, need to make some changes

Post by david mckee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:11 pm

Get with Dave or AB at 3G they are on the club website under sponors they have a kart shop in Katy 281-599-0851 3gkartracing.com or Charlie Swayne with Iron rock 512-773-3873, in Austin but comes to the track all the time. Do you know who manufactured the chassis (what brand) the kart is and the year or model? And get with John Bartos the club president he can help you out in what class would be best if it is chonda cadet he can help you out with the motor as well go to the home page on the web site and his number should be under the contact us down at the bottom of the page, feel free to contact me if you would like David 713-823-9712 my son is 9 and runs 2 classes.
David McKee

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:18 pm

Welcome to Houston and karting! I'm a relatively new transplant as well (been racing at GCKI for a year). Given that he's 10 I'm not 100% sure what is available for someone of his age in a full size kart (I'm assuming a full size kart is what you have based on the motor you mention). I hope someone else will chime in on what is available for his age...

In looking at the rules and what I know about karting I would highly recommend the Chonda class (looks like he could run a full size kart). This is a relatively inexpensive and reliable way to get into karting and learn about the sport. I just recently put a Chonda (AKA "clone engine") on a spare chassis that I had so I could help friends of mine come out and enjoy and maybe one day get their own kart. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I do and have been running this kart quite a bit more than I had ever imagined. I ordered my Chonda/clone engine from ARC Racing who is a club sponsor. I simply called them up and told them I needed everything and they put together the package and shipped it to me.

There is a local kart shop in Katy called 3G who is fantastic to work with. If you don't know how to rebuild a master cylinder and bleed the brakes than they should be able to help you. Since he won't be running a shifter one of the master cylinders should be disconnected so there are no front brakes (did this with a shifter chassis I have that I use for TaG). I don't know if front brakes are allowed in the Chonda class but even if they were I wouldn't run them. I would suggest listing the chassis make and model so that we can help.

I'm sure there is more that I'm missing but please feel free to contact me at proth0303@gmail.com if I can help. It's the least I can do for all of those people that helped me get into the sport. :D

David Conrad

Post by David Conrad » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks all! I will try and see what type and brand of kart it is. I'm sure it's a full size, but he's a big kid so I figured it'd work out. Just don't want him going TOO fast. Lol. And yea, I'm good with cars, crotch rockets, etc.. Karts are new to me and the master cylinder looks like Greek to me. Lol. Thanks again and I'll reach out to you guys in this coming week as soon as I make a plan on what I'm gonna do with this thing and do some research on his class.

david mckee
The master poster

Post by david mckee » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 pm

there is a club race Oct 14 if you can bring the kart out i'm sure someone can help with the identification of the kart and you can do some good recon on the classes or go to the rules, classes and schedule tab on the forum and it will show you the classes and the age and kart requirments. if you come out look me up long silver gooseneck trailer with kart #24
David McKee