Rev limiters

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Amir Ali
Rev limiters

Post by Amir Ali » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Is there a way to put a rev limiter on 80cc engines? I am new to shifter karts so do not have a lot of knowledge about the dirt bike engines that they use. I have put a tiny tach on it to monitor the revolutions. I try not to go over 6000 rpm as I don't really know what is the safe level or if there is some sort of mechanism in the engine it self that limits it from over revs.

Also, any recommendations on what type of motor/trans oil to use?

I have a 2002 track magic with a Honda 80cc engine, 6 speed and I use C12 108 octane fuel.

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Re: Rev limiters

Post by Brad Johnson » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Not sure if the 80s have a rev limiter built in to the ignition system or not. You can control your rpms through gearing for the track, besides you don't want to overrev as you aren't making much power after a certain point. 6000 is probably way low for an 80, I spin my 125 over 12000.

Amir Ali

Post by Amir Ali » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Ok thanks, I will try to experiment in that range and see what the response is.

How often are you suppose to change the motor oil and which type/brand?

Brad Johnson
The master poster

Post by Brad Johnson » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:23 am

I would suppose you could change it after every outing, probably not necessary though. Maybe every 3 times is a good practice. As far as brand I think you can flip a coin really. I try to use a light weight formula if possible, less for the motor to "drag" around. This is assuming your talking about the gearbox oil. I actually don't remember when I changed mine last, but the 125 trannys are pretty tough and I don't see much wear on my clutch parts. 80s might be different as far as how durable they might be.