HPV help

Questions and comments re engines, kart setup, gearing and related topics

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Garrett Turner
HPV help

Post by Garrett Turner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Does anyone know of any shops around that can help me with my HPV?

I don't think its getting any spark as I took a new plug and held it to the head and tried turning it over and saw no spark. I took off the solettra coil and cleaned the ends to get a good ground and still no spark so I think I need a new coil. I have called 3G before and they don't have anything for HPV since they don't deal in them so I'm on the hunt for anyone that may be able to help me out. The current coil is a Solettra P3356 if that helps at all...

Thanks,
-Garrett

Rick Miller
The master poster

Re: HPV help

Post by Rick Miller » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 am

Hi, If you replaced the plug with a new one and still no fire, go ahead and check the ground strap, they have been known to fail. If parts are needed I always had good luck with Empire Karting in California, very knowlegable on HPV.

Garrett Turner

Re: HPV help

Post by Garrett Turner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. Yeah the car was checked over by Empire about a year and a half ago but my buddy who I bought it from before I moved here had it just sitting around for about 5 months in his backyard under a tarp. I believe my knowledge of testing for spark is right in that you can just use a plug (that is good) and touch it to something to ground it then have the wire on it and just crank the crank and it should spark??? or am I completely wrong in thinking this?