Why is everyone leaving katy ?

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

hickmankrt04
The master poster
Why is everyone leaving katy ?

Post by hickmankrt04 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Why is there a rumor that everyone is tired of katy ? I ask people if they are racing and they tell me they aren't going back for awhile ? My heard issues.
1: blue flags and bumping
2: kid kart engine is only 4stroke/ 2 stroke gets DQ ?
3: cost , people travel far to come and cost keep going up. Fee for non-online.entry
I have been racing katy since 1996, love this track ! I want to support katy....what can we do ?? Miss the days of 15-20 karts in each class.
Ps : we need more jr racers !!! That's how we geow the sport...ok next person on the soap box... Rafe

Travis McCartney

Re: Why is everyone leaving katy ?

Post by Travis McCartney » Mon May 07, 2018 8:43 am

I am new this year but so far everyone at Katy has been really nice and I enjoy the atmosphere. While I race in 206 masters, I find all racers to be respectful, helpful and overall good people.

Earlier this season we had close to 30 karts in adult four stroke. I am not sure the circumstances but yesterday we only had 10. I hope things start to pick back up with the kart count as it really is more fun with more people !

Paul Jones
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Paul Jones » Tue May 08, 2018 7:44 pm

No soap box, just a little background and data.

Based on our membership, no one is leaving Katy (more than the usual turnover)as our membership numbers are flat to the previous years. There had been talk that everyone was going to leave to race at the new track as they were going to put out their own schedule. In an effort to accommodate racers and the clubs (GCKI and SpeedSportz), we got together and created a coordinated schedule and inter-club series to accomplish this. To date this has been successful based on the membership numbers and race entries at the series races. we are seeing 60+ at every series race. We anticipated lower numbers on the non-Greater Houston Series races and that has been the case, but still reasonable numbers. The other issue we have is all the regional and national race series, We have a lot of local racers that are very accomplished, and they race these races. Everyone has their respective budgets, and it is understandable that some of the local races are missed.

As it relates to the bumping and blue flags, we try to catch all the lapped traffic and signal the blue flag in time. It is a challenge as the ability to be lapped safely is more difficult that to race at the front. When appropriate, we penalize avoidable contact.

As to the Kid Karts, the Four stroke has been well received as all are equal and no improvements can be made (it was tested and you just can't cheat on that engine for any performance). This is not the same for the Comer. The Comer is not turned away, just not run for points.

As far as the cost goes, we have not raised our prices for as long as I can remember. We provide onsite computer to register so no penalty for same day registration. Racing always has it's cycles, and as a club, we try to anticipate and adjust. We are always open to suggestions on how to improve the club and races. Thanks for everyone's support of the club.

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 am

I don't know why anyone would ever cite rising costs as a reason for not racing at GCKI. it remains the best deal in 4-wheel racing. It's way cheaper to race at GCKI than Speedsports.

Having a second track to split the attendance (and therefore budgets) is the only reason I see for lower attendance at club races. It'll balance out over time.

Ken Snider
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Ken Snider » Wed May 09, 2018 2:37 pm

I wrote a beautifully transcribed message earlier and probably shifted down when i should've shifted up. Anyway, in an effort to relay the message I had in mind, I'll be brief.

Thanks for the true and concise points you made Paul. I'm in agreement that the Club is healthy as far as membership and the race count might've been short this past weekend but mostly sees the good number 60plus signed up. I will admit I haven't raced in a while due to time to prepare and practice more. But I'm just one old guy that isn't missed unless the others just enjoy having the lapper in the way.

I say if you're new, stick around and have fun. GCKI does have many accomplished drivers competing at higher and highest levels of the sport for a reason. I think we're all good and am glad Paul posted his response.
Ken Snider - X30 Master

Travis McCartney

Post by Travis McCartney » Wed May 09, 2018 8:18 pm

Great response guys. I'm glad to be part of the club and can't wait for more years to come especially as my kids get to the age they can compete.

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Tue May 22, 2018 5:07 am

I would like to comment on the "Fee for non-online.entry". Everyone has to register online as the online registration generates the Race Report that scoring & other race day workers use to process racers on race day.

There is a fee for paying trackside (instead of paying with a credit card online). This is to encourage paying online using a credit card which makes things go more quickly on race days. If people write checks or pay cash it slows down the race day registration process and those checks & cash have to be kept track of, balanced and deposited to the bank (requiring a physical trip to the bank for a club volunteer on a non race day). So the fee is to make it easier for race day workers & volunteers on race day & non race days. No one likes standing in line at the track or at the bank and the club likes to keep things streamlined and efficient for their volunteers.