What's after kid karts

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

John Garvish
What's after kid karts

Post by John Garvish » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:25 am

Hi all,

This is the first time I've posted on the forum. In fact, I've only been attending races in Katy with my son Carson for a couple months.

Before I begin, I want to thank everyone for all of the hospitality that literally everyone has shown us over the last couple months. Carson and I feel very welcome every time we make the drive in from Austin and it is something we look forward to doing every month. Thank you so much for this.

Now on to the reason for my post, I'd like some advice/thoughts from others who have raced in kid kart and who have made the transition to the next level on how to proceed. My plan is to keep Carson in kid karts through this year but to start practicing on a Micro-Swift on non-race days. I've looked at what others he raced with last year are doing this year and it seems like most everyone that is no longer in kid karts has moved up to the Cadet class running Mini-Swift. To me this seems like a huge step. I watched the Cadet class last week and most everyone was very fast but there did seem to be quite a bit of contact. Has anyone considered whether it would make sense to run a Micro-Swift class for the 7-9 year old boys and a Mini-Swift class for the 10-12 year old boys separately. I know adding another class would make the race day longer but it seems like there are kids with varying ability levels in the current cadet class and if there was a split based on age (or some other criteria) it might make the transition for kid karters a little safer and a little less daunting for us worrisome parents. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend anyone with the suggestion but please let me know if there is any support for this or other thoughts on how to prepare for this transition. Thanks again. John

Travis Short
The master poster

Re: What's after kid karts

Post by Travis Short » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 am

John,
You're not alone in your concern. I wouldn't be opposed to splitting them up but I think it's usually based more on number of entrants. Maybe combine the 4-stroke cadets with the micro-swift? Or keep mini-swift and 4-stroke but limit age to 9? I don't know the best answer but I and at least one other set of parents share your concern.

Javier Duran
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Javier Duran » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 am

I believe run a micros swift together with the 4 strokes is good approach.
The proposal 7-9 for micro swift is very good too.
What I do not agree would be to modify the age structure for mini swift since that constrain those who want to move up earlier.
I understand that some of ours do not want the little guys near the 10 year old fast ones which is 100% understandable. But, lets say a 7-8 years old guy who feel very comfortable racing again the 10-12 ones and do well: It would not be fair to trapped him or her in micro swift. For instance, the actual mini swift champion ,I believe, is 8 years old or at least was 8 years old when won the spring season in 2016.
I would include Santy within the micro swift class if the class come up. But, I will not be in favor of restrict the earlier move up for sure.

Jared Saville

Post by Jared Saville » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 pm

I think there is a need for a micro class. I'm counting at least 3 or more that would convert. Would gkci recognize this and make a class for us? I agree that 7 year olds on the track with 13 has a cause for concern. This class in my opinion would not be for an 8 year old capable of winning the swift class. I agree with all your responses. Going from kid kart to mini is a big leap. Although some are capable. Im sure the 10 to 13 kids would be more glad that these kids are in another class. I'm for adding a micro class.

Javier Duran
Loud Mouth Poster

Post by Javier Duran » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 am

I think is important to point our the following:

I have seen and experience people has told me also that many times the slow un-experience guys are more dangerous that the fast guys with experience. That does apply to both little ones or adults.

Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:56 am

I think this is a good suggestion for the club to offer a Micro swift option.. I'd be in support of running a combined LO206 and Micro Swift class, they'd run similar lap times and it would also keep the LO206 cadets out of the Mini swift class which I think can sometimes be risky.

I agree with the others though about allowing the younger kids run Mini if they are good enough but there should be an upper age limit on the Micro, EG Micro 7-9 (or 10) years, Mini 7-12 years, we wouldn't want 11-12 year olds running Micro.

John Garvish

Post by John Garvish » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Seems like there is good support for this idea and I haven't yet heard any suggestions to the contrary.

Richard: I have some great footage of James running in kid kart with Carson from his go pro. I'll bring you a USB stick with the files on it to the 3/12 race.

Richard Moss

Post by Richard Moss » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Awesome, thanks John. I'll have Amy look to see if she caught any photos of Carson and bring them for you.

Back to the thread.. I also just thought that it's kind of odd that we offer a MicroMax class but no Micro Swift given the swift entrants far outweighs the Rotax entrants.

Brian Warwas
The master poster

Post by Brian Warwas » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 am

There was a vote at the 2016 member meeting that kept micro swift off the list.
At that time they voted for this so that those racers could run mini at Katy and still be eligible to race Micro in regionals or nationals.

I believe skusa has lightened up on this rule at the club level now.

I agree that there needs to be a micro class. Good age range is 7-9
MiniMax #48