Tire Softener

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators:Jay Kleinheinz, Paul Jones, Mark Chandler, Scott Boone, Matt Blehm

Chris Genovese
The master poster
Tire Softener

Post by Chris Genovese » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:19 am

In searching for parts I came across various tire softener chemicals, and I'm wondering if these are legal for the lo206 class or not? Just wondering if this is something I should have in my garage or if the tires are good to go as they are.

Chris Genovese
The master poster

Re: Tire Softener

Post by Chris Genovese » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:22 am

Also, as a follow up question, my experience running on the track in the wet is that the MG Reds have absolutely NO traction on the left side of the track. It was like an ice skating ring out there. I know that sooner or later I'll be faced with running on a wet day .... what is the answer for grip out there in the lo206 class? Do you change camber/caster? Do you run rain tires?

Thanks for the input!

Jean Michel Gaston
The master poster

Post by Jean Michel Gaston » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:49 am

Chris, im not aware of any tire softening chemicals, and would suspect that they are not legal to use.
The MGs in stock form have more than sufficient grip for the 4stroke class. The search for grip involves tuning your kart. Try different things in practice and you will eventually find the best set up for the conditions.
Get yourself a good tire pressure gauge, one that is accurate to a fraction of a psi. That will be your most important tool.

Running in the wet requires adjustment to many things, you want to narrow your rear width as much as possible and try to induce heat into your tires (a higher starting pressure is imperative). If the track is really wet, rain tires are a must.

Chris Genovese
The master poster

Post by Chris Genovese » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 am

The softener chemicals are for sale at Comet Karts. If we're running a class that specifies the type of tire it would make sense that they would not allow these chemicals, but I wasn't sure if this was something people were using or not. Just wanted to make sure that this wasn't another tool I needed to have to get that extra 1/10th haha!

Since the axle is a standard width and there are not spacers in the rear is the only way to reduce rear track different sized hubs?

Also.... it seems crazy to me that higher tire pressure makes for higher heat in the tires but I know that you're right about that. Everything about tuning karts is completely opposite of my experience coming from cars and autocross lol. What pressure is a good baseline for the wet, just so I know? I was running 13 front and 14 rear at the last dry race and grip was not an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Patrick Roth
The master poster

Post by Patrick Roth » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:38 am

From the club rules "Tires shall not be treated in any way with any substance or material". I have not run with any organizations that specifically allow for any sort of tire treatment.

Usually changing hubs is not required to change the rear track width. In dry conditions, most people will run somewhere around 54"-55" track width. When it's wet I will simply slide the rear hubs in all the way which ends up around a 53" track width.

I run approximately 20psi (cold) when I have rain tires on (will adjust this depending on how wet the track is and the outside temp but this is my starting point). Slicks don't work at all when the track is wet. If there are a few wet spots (and I have slicks on) I don't intentionally increase the tire pressure. Instead, I do whatever I can to avoid the wet spots even if it means taking a really awkward racing line.

Garrett Boone
The master poster

Post by Garrett Boone » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:28 am

Tire softener chemicals are definitely illegal. We call it "juicing" tires and it's a no-no.

As far as running in the rain, it's not just MG Reds that don't have grip. All slicks don't have grip when you are running a go kart with ackerman steering, like we run. On a wet day, you'll just need to put on rain tires. You can't run without them. There is also a rain setup you can put on the kart, but the most important thing is rain tires.