Welcome Anonymous, It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:53 am

Mr. Joe Dunlap Memorial and Funeral

General Karting Discussions related to GCKI

Moderators: John Bartos, Brian Traw, Mike Hewitt, Tom Dunlap

Mr. Joe Dunlap Memorial and Funeral

Postby Scott Boone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:09 pm

I am very sorry to report that our dear friend Joe Dunlap passed away Monday January 18th just past noon. His son Tom called and said he died peacefully in his sleep at the hospital and was comforted by his entire family in the time before his death. Joe was a wonderful friend and leader of GCKI, a great father, husband, patriot and citizen. All members of GCKI and visitors to our track have been touched by Joe Dunlap’s generosity through the years. He donated close to 40 years of service to the Gulf Coast karting community and we will all miss him dearly.

Visitation begins Wed 6-8pm at the Schmidt Funeral Home on East Ave in Katy, grave site service Thursday 11:00am at Katy Magnolia Cemetery and Memorial Service Thursday at 2:00PM at the First Baptist Church in Katy.
Scott Boone
The master poster

Re: Mr. Joe Dunlap Memorial and Funeral

Postby Tim Trott » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:40 pm

On behalf of our family, I wish to convey our sincere condolences to the Dunlap family. You have our deepest sympathy. Joe will be sorely missed by many many people who lives he touched.
Tim Trott

Postby Oscar Aguilera » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:01 pm

i will miss joe d. he was a good friend. we had a great respect for one another. i shared similar views on karting with him when we sat and talked sometimes after the races. he made alot of memories for me at the track in katy. he poked fun at me every chance he got. heck, he gave me my nick name "Roach"!

i remember ribbing him about the corner in front of the stands. he said "man you can really see the karts get through that corner. and i said "you probably cant see much further either joe?" he answered "OSCAR!" i told him i would name that corner after him when i announced. and so i called it "dunlap corner" on the mic. i think we still go by that name for that corner, at least i do, and if not we should make it official somehow.

i will always remember joe d!
832-250-3806
Oscar Aguilera
The master poster

Postby Bill Choice » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 pm

The Choice family sends our deepest heartfelt condolences to Joe's family during this difficult time. You are all being held in our thoughts and prayers.

I did not know Joe very well, but after taking on a portion of the work he did for the club I have a lot of respect for the man and his efforts! Joe did the thankless job of accounting and membership management for many years and helped keep the club afloat during difficult times. If it wasn't for Joe's continued support, dedication, and true love for the club we would not have the facility we enjoy today. Thanks Joe!

Sincerely,
Bill, Becky, and Will Choice
Bill Choice
The master poster

Postby Brad Johnson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 pm

I had such a good time sitting with Joe and Tom at the banquet last year. Since learning about karting and GCK back in the late 80's I've known the Dunlap's. Spent some time in Joe's shop trying to learn and maybe retain a little bit about the old Yamaha. He scolded me after my first wife passed because I hadn't let the news out that she was sick. I remember him telling me, "You have friends here in the club you know." and it struck me he was including me as a friend. At least that's what I was hoping. He could be a tough old fella but he was always straight with anybody.

My family sends our deepest condolences and sympathies to all the Dunlap family in their time of loss.

Dunlap Curve.....nice ring.
Last edited by Brad Johnson on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Johnson
The master poster

Postby Mike Books » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:40 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. Our memories are with all of the years that we have had the honor and privilege of being a part of racing with Joe. Joe we will miss you but never forget you. Dunlap corner does sound good. Our prayers are with you.
Entire Books Family, Mike, Pam, Kevin, & Kyle.
Mike Books

Postby K.J. Kreiter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 pm

I too wish to extend heart felt condolences to the Dunlap Family. I didn't have the opportunity to know Joe, but when I see what he accomplished at the track, I have the highest admiration and respect for him. Racing karts has been the greatest thing that I have had the privilege to participate in and I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Joe and the Dunlap family for making karting a possibility for me. Thank you Joe!
K.J. Kreiter
Loud Mouth Poster

Postby John Bartos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 pm

The Bartos family wishes to express our sincerest regret at the passing of His Honor, Joe Dunlap. The legacy of his support of GCKI will certainly live on. On a very personal note, it was Joe's attitude and passion for the club that inspired me to become more involved. I can still remember quite clearly the first time I attended a club meeting where Joe was present. It was clear that he loved everything about the club. Now that Marcia and Bill and I are doing a portion of what Joe did all by himself for many, many years - we can only begin to appreciate how much he put his heart and soul into the club. Joe - Your sense of humor, support of the club, and most of all your friendship will be sadly missed.
John Bartos
The master poster

Postby Scott Boone » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 am

Joe's obituary is available at the following link: http://www.katytimes.com/articles/2010/ ... 540772.txt
Scott Boone
The master poster

Postby Eddie Ilavia » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 pm

The Ilavia family wishes to express our deepest condolences and sympathy to the family of the Honorable Joe Dunlap. Joe was well Joe, and his love for our sport and the unwavering support he provided the Club will never be matched or forgotten. When one thinks of Katy (GCKI) one thinks of Joe and the idea of immortalizing Joe at our Track just seems like the right thing to do, nevertheless, what we end up doing will be a drop in the bucket compared to what we have all received from Joe and the Dunlap Family at Katy.

Thank you for all that you have done and most importantly being you, you will be missed but never forgotten.

Sincerely,
Eddie, Judi, Michael and David
Regards,
MIDI Motorsports
Eddie Ilavia
The master poster

Postby David Moffitt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 pm

To Tom, Bob, Scott and the rest of the Dunlap family, I was so sorry to hear of your dad’s death. It’s hard for me to realize that it’s been nearly 40 years since a common passion for karting brought us all together. While some of my memories are of those frustrating Texas Karting Council meetings at which it often seemed like we could never find common ground, without a doubt my best memory of Joe was the visit he made to New Braunfels during the Tri-Cities Challenge a few years ago, at which time we were finally able to put all those past issues aside and concentrate on our common love of the sport and mutual desire to give it our best. I am so thankful our relationship ended on such a positive note.

My sincerest condolences to all of you. What a life well-lived!

Sincerely,

David Moffitt
San Antonio, TX
David Moffitt

Return to GCKI Karting Forums